Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Packages pour moi et bebe



Lest you think I've run off to film Sultana Bran commercials, I'm here to show you some lovely gifties that have been posted to me since I made my baby announcement. A talented blogger who preferred to stay anonymous sent me a package with this pretty blue wool jumper inside (yup, all you UK folk, in Canada a jumper is something like this or a one-piece pantsuit. What you call a jumper, we call a sweater).

There's lots of room to grow here thanks to a handy adjustable strap at the back. I thought it would look funky if I stuck to the blue theme, so I wore it with blue tights and turtleneck (polo neck in the UK? I love these differences), and my thrifted Kenneth Cole Reaction booties. A handmade statement piece necklace finished off the look. Love!


The same blogger sent me a pretty sleeveless black dress that will do wonderfully for the summer and post-baby, which isn't pictured here as it was difficult to photograph, and this beautiful hardcover book, Flea Market Baby, which features inspiring photos of all the creative baby things you can do with second-hand flea market finds. I used to have coffee table books galore featuring thrifty decor ideas, and boy, do I regret getting rid of them. I was so touched by this package, from a blogger I hardly know - I am so hanging on to my maternity stuff so I can pass the goodies and the good Karma forward!


Speaking of terrific ladies, the indomitable Curtise also sent me a package, containing, among other things, this beaut of a floral knit tunic/dress that I've been all but living in lately. That style dame nailed it with this baby - it's just so very ME. I'm wearing it with leggings and a necklace found at a Vide Grenier for a couple bucks, but I also wore it as a dress with sassy crochet tights.


She also sent this summery top that, again, will be perfect for spring and post-baby. Isn't it swish? It'll rock with everything from leggings to a black skirt. And on that subject, Curtise also sent me a black knit skirt, which is perfectly fitting into my pregnancy wardrobe philosophy, but, like the black dress, it didn't photograph well, so you'll have to trust in its marvelousness.


I just love the card Curtise sent - and she was so right, there were plenty of butterfly-like movements going on in my belly at that time, which have now turned to perceptible kicks!


Last but not least, my wonderful twin sis, Kendra, sent me this Kimono-style maternity top that I'll be sporting once the warmer weather comes. Like Curtise's top, I think it could also do as a nursing top. I can't find a lot of nursing clothing here, so I'm making the (perhaps mistaken) assumption that French women just pull their boob out of their top to nurse. I would have no problem doing that if I had to.


Kendra is an art and graphics design prof in Toronto, and has been a practising and showing artist since she was in her early 20s, if not before - you can check out her amazing drawings, paintings and other renderings on the blog portion of her website, gadzala.com. Needless to say, I was thrilled to receive this book. I thought it was such a creative idea to turn a sketchbook into a book, and, since the tome chronicles her family's life in addition to showcasing her talents, I wanted one.


Guess whose wedding flowers she featured in the book?

Sis also sent me, upon request, a Dollar Store liquid eyeliner, the same kind I used to buy at the end of my street in Toronto. Makeup here is VERY expensive - try 18 Euros for a lipstick or a mascara ... that's 24 Canuck bucks, epps!

Thanks to all you lovelies for sending me such gorgeous, thoughtful gifties that will be so used and enjoyed. I'm linking up to Lakota's Ta-dah! Tuesday because I think these items are definitely Ta-dah! worthy! And special thanks to Jill, who has kindly featured the dress that you all loved so much, from a few posts ago, in her How I Wear My Date Night Look post today!

46 comments:

  1. Great gifts! You look glowing - pregnancy obviously suits you!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who's a lucky girl then? You! You look stunning in both the sweater dress and Curtise's printed dress. Loving the sound of the Flea Market Bay book and your sister's book is absolutely incredible, what a talent! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had better thrift goodies here, Vix, as I know all your styles so well now that I could easily send you packages of vintage love, if only the pickings weren't so sparse! xox

      Delete
  3. You look lovely in the dresses! I agree with Liz, you do look glowing! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma Kate, I sure hope the look lasts! :) xo

      Delete
  4. Gosh, definitely ta-dah worthy! Sorry I missed your announcement but congratulations on your exciting news! Lovely gifts, bet you're on cloud 9!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lakota! We're thrilled, scared, the whole nine yards, and so happy to have these lovely gifties! xo

      Delete
  5. You look fab! Lucky girl

    Take care of you and bebe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my fellow thrifty Canadian! I hope the weather has abated somewhat in MTL .... :)

      Delete
  6. You look lovely in all your new presents. Mums to be deserve lots of special gifts, although your most special gift is of course yet to come! M x

    ReplyDelete
  7. The blog world is filled with some incredible people. :) Your dresses/gifts are lovely, enjoy them! And Your sisters art is --amazing--!!!

    PS: I can't get over what a pretty momma to be you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a very talented twin sis, for sure! I love her paintings she's done recently of playgrounds, in fluorescent hues ....

      Gosh, that's so sweet of you to say ... hopefully the look will last! :)

      Delete
  8. That knit dress is perrrrrfect for you! I love it too. And it would also look cute with those light colored boots you're wearing in the first photo. I'm glad you're wearing those tan boots because I just thrifted some last week much like them for only 4.00 but since most of my wardrobe is dark I've had to add/thrift some new things to lighten up my outfit choices to balance out the boots, if that makes sense. ;) Of course it does, you're the grunge Queen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joni, apologies, this was in my spam box for some reason, bad blogspot! Yes, I saw and loved your tan boots on sight. Four bucks - quelle deal! I wear my tan boots all the time (maybe not so much now as I am teetering a lot) and I find they go with so much, but I can see why you'd want to lighten things up to balance the boots out. Xo

      Delete
  9. Those are all lovely! I love the prints especially. And your sister's book looks great - I'm going to go follow that link now.

    I hope you're feeling well and your French lessons are starting to pay off. A bientot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Val, her work is great and she's really expanded from painting into more drawing these days, so proud of her. :)

      Alas, French verbs are falling by the wayside as baby planning takes over!

      Delete
  10. What kind and thoughtful blogging-friends you have. All your items are worthy of a resounding Tah Dah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, this blogging community just rocks; I feel so lucky to occupy a wee part of it. :)

      Delete
  11. Kelly, thank you so much for joining us the Date Night look roundup. And I have to tell you that if THAT is your look for running around doing errands with your husband (which made me laugh, I mean I live in Levi's and I do errands all the time), then you get my vote for Most Glamorous Wife and Mother-to-Be of All Time! You are the best! XO, Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun, Jill, and thanks so much for including me! Well, to be fair, I don't work, so when I go out to do errands, it's really my only time to play dress up! Though comfort is starting to take precedence, I must admit .... xoxo

      Delete
  12. Hi there!! No one rocks a knit dress like you and what wonderful stylish gifts you've received, you look positively radiant and really lovely!! Take care and have a good week! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, that is sweet of you, and yes, I feel like a lucky girl having received all these pretty pressies! Have a great week too (though it's a week later)! xox

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thanks, it is pretty, I can hardly wait to wear it as that'll mean it's baby-time!

      Delete
  14. Ooh, that sweater dress looks great with the polo neck jumper underneath (you can translate, I know!) and I am so pleased you like all your gifts. You do look extremely well, that Butterfly Baby is suiting you (le bebe papillon?)
    Your sister is a wonderful artist, her book looks beautiful. I will check out her work on her blog.
    Look after yourself and Bumplet, Kelly!
    PS. I have never been described as indomitable before - I like it, makes me sound like some tough-as-old-boots private eye or lady explorer! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oui, je pense que your French is correct Curtise! Thanks for the kind words.

      Kendra's work these days, of her kids, has this almost-creepy quality to it, yet it's enchanting too - I'm thinking of her playground series in paint on her website ....

      Haha, I do think of you that way, but it's not in a tough-as-nails hard-ass kind of way ... more like a gal who will always stick to her guns, yet have a good laugh along the way too! xoxo

      Delete
  15. if i get pregnant i want this book, too .... flea market baby sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you just let me know if you do! I think it's in the spirit of things to pass these things on!

      Delete
  16. What fun stuff!!! My fashion got quite iffy when I was preggo and then nursing--- but you are looking great!! It was hard to find tops I liked that made it easy to nurse, so I would just lift my shirt!! I was very 'boobs out' lolzzz! Just kidding--- with the baby latched on there is hardly anything to see anyway :) I am chubbier than you so I used to wear stretchy tanks under my shirt so my belly wouldn't show. I was way more worried about showing my fat stomach than my ta-tas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, I have my days of leggings and tunics, and that impulse to try to be stylish may very well go down the tubes in the coming months. And yes, I hear ya, I am finding no nursing tops and am beginning to think such items are mostly about marketing hype. I am sure French women do the same, and in fact I have seen it: they just pull up their tops, et voila! I guess I can use a pretty, lightweight scarf to artfully drape over any unsightly blubber, as I'm sure that will come too!

      Delete
  17. Aren't there some wonderful bloggers out there! Those are lovely gifts - you are going to look very stylish during your pregnancy! That book is perfect for a thrifting queen like you. Hope you're feeling well and getting lots of rest (cuz you know you won't get any when that baby's here...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelley, I think nature is preparing me already as sleep is already hard, what with the perpetual nocturnal bathroom visits, an elderly cat that's starting to meow all the time, and needing to flip over like a flopping fish every half hour!

      Yes, these vintage-thrifty-style community is so great, isn't it?

      Delete
  18. Aw that's really kind of the anonymous blogger - and great gifts too!

    www.mancunianvintage.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Helen, and thank you for stopping in! I will pop over to yours for a wee visit!

      Delete
  19. Wonder load of presents you got there, they're all fab and all perfect for you! Curtise is fantastic at picking out gifts. The wool dress looks fantastic. Your sister is awesome too, always nice to get sent cool little things from home xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clare, it def takes talent to pick out stuff for peeps you don't know that well, or whose size you don't know!

      It is lovely to receive gifts and care packages. Luckily my whole fam will be visiting in the summer months so they'll be bringing their care packages for bebe with them! xoxo

      Delete
  20. What wonderful gifts you received
    Everything is wonderful! should i say it in french?
    Tous les cadeaux sont merveilleux!
    Your sis is a such a talented Lady- the flowers are exquisite!
    You look so well pretty Kelly !

    Ariane xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oui, ils sont beaux cadeaux, Ariane!

      My sis is one talented chick - she went to art school in your city, BTW!

      xoxo

      Delete
  21. Wow what generous gifts! The dress with the flowers on the front is marvellous and so is your necklace in the first pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, me lucky girl.

      That necklace IS special. It was made by a lady recovering from addiction and I bought it from a Toronto shop-owner who was trying to help her. It was under $40 and I always felt I should have given more, as I thought she could have easily sold one for $100.

      Delete
  22. What creative and thoughtful gifts! I adore that tunic top on you...perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore it too, it's just perfect, Heather.

      Delete
  23. I just caught up with Joni's blog and see that Curtise is on a roll with her brilliantly apt gifts. I'm digging that floral tunic as well as the very sweet butterfly card.
    So sorry to hear that your kitty is "sun-downing" and crying at night :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Curtise is Queen of the amazingly perfect gifts, for sure! Thanks, it's an ongoing challenge with wee Dag. The vet says this can happen after they lose a partner (he and Dink were 'together' for 13 years). We are just trying to lavish love on him along with a few natural calming remedies. :)

      Delete