Friday, February 15, 2013

Isn't it romantic?


Happy belated Valentine's Day to you! I was busy spending the day with hubby yesterday before he jetted off again, but I just had to show you the cappuccino he made me yesterday morning. Quite by accident, the foam magically shaped itself into a heart. Cuteness or what?


It stayed until the bitter end, and became even more heart-like.


Hubby and I decided to have a low-key Valentine's, with no major gifties (I'm still marveling at my Cartier eternity ring, an anniversary and a pre-baby giftie). But I thought I'd try my hand at a handmade Valentine from the heart, just like the kind my sis and I used to make when we were kids.

I'm not crafty in any way, and I agonized over this imperfect Valentine for hours, but hubby was touched beyond belief and even wanted to pack it in his suitcase this morning - big awww!


We joke that we're the most unromantic couple as we went out together to pick out my roses (hot pink and orange, my fave). But hey, he just came off flying a plane, and I sure as heck didn't mind.

I'm wearing my "new" vintage faux fur coat I picked up for 20 Euros at the local thrift shop. The label is Michel Alexis, and it's made in France. It's a touch big but it will accommodate my growing bump; plus I think you don't have to be so picky with size when it comes to a swing coat, non?


What I thought was a misunderstanding at the cash ended up being ok when I investigated further today at the thrift shop. I thought the woman was telling me that only real furs were not subject to the 50 percent off sale, and I knew this decidedly wasn't fur and was expecting to pay 10 Euros for it. It turns out that all furs, real **and** fake, weren't included in the sale. In the end I was ok with paying 20 Euros for this coat, especially if it means I'll be able to do it up when I'm really big!


Nesting mode must be kicking in, as I sweated and swore and stressed for several hours last night making hubby beef stroganoff, my very first attempt. I almost called the beef stroganoff hotline (ie: Mom) several times, but managed to make it through ok, producing a **pas mal** repas. I made oodles so we've got some in the freezer. Must start stockpiling easy meals! (Note: I never wear aprons, probably because I'm not much of a chef, but this was a gift from my UK thrifting pal extrordinaire, Sheau, whom I dearly miss - sweet, isn't it? I've been cooking more in recent weeks so it will come in handy).


I even got to wear a Valentine's napkin scrawled by hubby at the last minute, lest I dribble sauce over my thrifted Theory cashmere sweater (bought years ago for $6.99 in Canada but with a Holt Renfrew pricetag of about $600, if memory serves!). I don't look so hot in red but at that price, I snapped it up and haul it out every year for occasions such as this, where red is befitting.

This is the last time you'll see my shaggy mop. I was semi-beaned today at the hairdresser's, despite telling him that I didn't want to go short. Maybe my French isn't as good as I thought?

Hope you had a lovely Feb. 14 and a great weekend!

32 comments:

  1. Aww love the cappuccino valentine heart! That coat looks great and at 20 euros it still is pretty bargainous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, for France it is a good deal - gone are the days (back in Canada) where I could find a coat for under ten bucks! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, I can't wait to see your new short do! It's fun to change it up now and then. Sweet of you to cook up something new for your love. I can bet he appreciated it!
    Love your new coat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's growing on me, Joni, haha. I keep saying I don't want to go short again, but I always feel so much more pulled together, and it actually inspires me to be more stylish! Amazing how a new haircut can do that! :)

      Delete
  3. you hit the jackpot with your new coat. i'm always looking for coats it s the one thing I find hard to get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit to having a wee bit of a coat fetish. I gave a lot away, and sold some, but I still have a few I don't wear. Like the canary yellow Bil Blass swing coat with massive shoulder pads - I fear I look like Big Bird but I will have to try and show it here ... I bet you'd like it! :)

      Delete
  4. Awww you guys are so sweet and romantic-- love it! Can't wait to see the new short do, even though you didn't request it! lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always that period after a haircut where you go, "OMG! I look like an alien!" Then, the next day, I play around with it, try different makeup etc - it usually always leads to a style renaissance of sorts, I find. I guess the initial turmoil must be part of the process! :)

      Delete
  5. I love hot pink and orange, too! Wonderful colors for roses, or anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Val - I had a fab sweater from Macy's with this colour scheme. Why did I get rid of it?

      Delete
  6. So much to comment on here, Kelly. The heart in your coffee! How fortuitous ! I love the card you made and the coat is wonderful. The little valentine napkin is the cutest! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Loo, it was a sweet day filled with lotsa sweet little things. A nice little Valentine's Day. :) xo

      Delete
  7. How cute! I, for one, think you're really romantic in a "casual" way. Sometimes it's not as fun or cosy to go all out with holidays or celebration, it somehow break the "routine", traditional aspect of those.
    What a gorgeous coat! (and shoes!) Also, prices might depends on the city (or is it because I'm nearer to Germany?), but I often find good coats/jacket for 5 or 10€ in thrift stores and friperies. Ah, I'm bragging. Just keep exploring your city, maybe you'll find a cheaper frippery that's not mentioned anywhere for some reason and find great stuffs there!
    Also, it's maybe cultural, but my mom and most people I know says that hairstylists always cut 10cm more than what you ask for. So yeah. Still the length looks great on you! Kudos on your beef stroganoff! (I have the biggest trouble feeding myself, oops.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, so sorry, somehow your comment ended up in my spam box! I think Annecy is just expensive in general, and there sadly aren't many thrift shops here. So you are lucky to find such deals! But I do love that coat and was happy to pay 20 euros for it as I wear it almost every day now. I am a bit disappointed at the hair situation - it does take time to find a good hairdresser, doesn't it? I used to have trouble feeding myself, but marriage and now pregnancy has domesticated me, lol! :)

      Delete
  8. Ahhh, how sweet is that frothy heart? You two are real love birds, it does my poor cynical heart good to see how happy you are!
    Fabulous coat, beautiful roses, and I think you look great in red!
    Looking forward to seeing the new hair cut, I bet you look tres chic! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well, Curtise, we're technically in the newlywed stage stll! I have a feeling the romance may end with bebe! Xoxo

      Delete
  9. So romantic and in love.
    Your baby is coming to such a warm home, my dear friend.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  10. Handmade valentines are the best! Nice score on the furry coat. It's hard to get any coats for under 20 bucks over here - occasionally Talize or Value Village might have a nice vintage one that they think no one will want for $25. I so want to see the Big Bird coat!!
    I love the photo of you in your apron, looking so domestic-y.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I should think of places like Value Village, where I always used to troll for coats and was always brought down low by their over-the-top prices! I will try to summon the courage to wear that coat and post here - it's truly fabulous, but I haven't worn it in so long, I may look like a line backer with those shoulder pads! :)

      Delete
  11. That Valentine's card is gorgeous, no wonder Mr GG loved it! Fancy heart-shaped froth on your coffee, too.
    That coat is fab and I love the trapper hat. You look the vision of domestic goddessness in that pinny! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teehee, yes, domesticity and nesting is sure setting in - soon I'll be cleaning under the kitchen sink with a toothbrush!

      Handmade Valentine's cards are always so special. I love that you and Jon have a tradition of exchanging them. They're something to keep and cherish! xoxo

      Delete
  12. I think the heart in your cappuccino is a very good sign. :) I love your thrifted outfit and I think picking out flowers with your guy sounds romantic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how our ideas of true romance change as we get older, isn't it? All for the better, in my opin. :)

      Delete
  13. It's lovely that you went out together to pick roses and that you made a card. Shame the jacket wasn't in the same but if you're going to use it loads then it's still great. Very sweet that your froth heart stayed with you to the bottom of the mug too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like Jesus in a grilled cheese, I took,it as a sign, Clare! Xoxo

      Delete
  14. OMG. Theirry Mugler for 4 Euros!?!? WHAAAAT!?!? Seriously. You win. I was all up myself because I thought that I had won the lottery today because I found a vintage Aquascutum tweed blazer for ten pounds, but I think you win. Thanks for visiting me. Consider your blog crush returned. Following.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a surprise for France, let me tell you - more like a deal I'd find in some of the scraggy Canadian thrift shops. I'm envious of your Aquascum find and will be looking for it on your blog. I had a gorg thrifted trench by that make that I found years ago when I was in uni - stupidly, I got rid of it when I moved to the UK last year. Why? Last time I checked, the company was in receivership, too bad. Thanks for follow; I'm following via email. :)

      Delete
  15. That accidental cappuccino v-day heart is great :) Sounds like you guys had a great time celebrating vday your way. I agree with swing coats, a bit to big isn't an issue. Especially since you'll need room to accommodate your growing bump!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to anticipate what I'll need a couple months and post-baby, Emmett Katherine - it's so hard to know what size you'll be! So I'm basically making do with what I have and waiting until I grow out it all before I buy more stuff. Glad you're enjoying Ottawa - it's like a trip down memory lane reading your posts. :)

      Delete
  16. Despite what you and your hubby think, you guys are totally romantic! Such a lovely post. : )

    ReplyDelete