Monday, February 11, 2013

Hot pink cure-all


When she's got the winter blahs because Annecy is perpetually grey in the winter (mountain weather?), what's a gal to do?

If it's super mild, which it thankfully has been most of the winter and def was last week when hubby snapped this shot, well, she goes out to frolic in the snow (translation: went on a grocery run) wearing her NEW previously-loved wool colour-block cape (courtesy of Etsy).


Bright colours are a tonic for the blahs, I find, and I was so thrilled with this cape (especially since it was on sale and super inexpensive for what it is) that I threw it on when really I should have worn a longer coat to protect me from the wet snow, which melted the next day, yay!

The cape is by a company called Coloratura, which started in Boston, USA in the 1980s but has since moved to Pennsylvania. It specializes these days in artisanal-made capes with a bit of a Native vibe, which look very different from the one I have, a thick blanket-like 100% wool open cape that I can phwing oh so artlessly over my shoulder and pretend I'm glamourous when really I'm starting to waddle like a duck. I just love the little pointy hood too; it makes me feel like a little gnome.


I don't wear the colour much, but ever since discovering a nubbly crayon of a certain hue in the crayon box when I was a kid, hot pink - and yes, neon pink too - has been an emotionally-charged colour for me, and always happy happy happy.

I found this 1980s wool dress, with batwing sleeves and floppy funnel neck, on Etsy as well - in fact it's from the same seller as the cape, and it was a screaming deal. Not sure if I'll show you the look **sans** thrifted Windsmoor coat as I look rather like a pink blob in it at the mo, but it's cozy and satisfies my hunger for brights.

I'm wearing it with a vintage Kangol angora hat gifted to me by a vintage pal, my thrifted Kenneth Cole Reaction boots, my new "Pippi Longstocking" striped wooly tights, and a vintage 1980s statement piece necklace made of multi-hued Lucite-like chunks.


Ok, let's throw in the beat-up leather purse I found a few weeks ago at the thrift shop in town, which had a **braderie** outside that day, meaning everything on the table was a Euro each (!) - finally, I found something for a Euro in France!! It was fun to rummage; I found a few things, another purse and some clothing for bebe, which I'll show you another time (the lovely all-wool men's scarf underneath, which I'm using as a table runner, was found at the same shop this weekend for .75 centimes).

On the subject of France, my French lessons have taken a back seat these last few weeks to intensive baby research (cribs or bassinets which meet European standards, trying to find out what the hell those standards are etc). I realized last night after a particularly late Internet session that I'm just a week or two from the beginning of my third trimester, and we've done next to nothing planning-wise - AK!


Back to the pink: I've had this sheeny quilted silk down-filled Hilary Radley jacket (which I bought new but on sale) for years. I tried to give it away to a homeless woman I used to talk with all the time in Toronto years ago, but sadly I couldn't find her. In the end it suits the alpine life in Annecy, and the jolt of my fave happy shade cheers me when all I see is a sea of black coats on the streets. It also matches my face, which has recently broken out in dry, red blotches - mind, if that's the only pregnancy complaint I have, I'm doing well!

You can see I've fully internalized the alpine style ethic with my new fur hat. I thought the studs jazzed it up, and it was a screaming 50 percent off (but still not a deal by any means ... we're in Annecy, afterall). Though it's not minus 20 degrees C like it is in my hometown in Canada, I still find it cold here - perhaps it's the damp mountain air? - so this hat makes a real difference, especially on my daily lakeside ambles. Hubby has one too, a totally different style, but I still fear, with his new lace-up boots that are similar to my new Uggs, that we may start looking like one of those couples that wear the same thing - scary!!


Let's banish that disturbing thought. It's been snowing all day today - the first major snowstorm where there are several feet of the white stuff on the ground - so I'll leave you with some lovely shots from around the lake on my walk today, whose icy bleak beauty rather counter the pink parade. How all the snow makes me think of Ottawa, Canada! This is the wee man-made island on the lake, which is a bird sanctuary, I'm told.


Mammoth droopy willow beside the lake in the Jardins de L'Europe, a lovely English-style landscape garden park filled huge trees of every type.


Looking from the gardens over the Pont D'Amour to the other side.

I'm joining all the lovely ladies at Patti's Visible Monday, because, amidst this greyness, my pink surely stands out! Like me, Patti is wearing a gorg hue in her post today, and a sweater dress to boot. And if you're groovin on the hot pink, I must credit my muse for today, Sarah, whose stroke-able hot pink velvet wiggle skirt egged me on to do this post (though, alas, I will never look so hot in MY pink!).

46 comments:

  1. Your cape is so fab, ditto your hot pink wool dress! (and Sarah's pink skirt too). I think *you* melted the snow : > Thanks for linking up to Visible Monday, you look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patti, it's always fun to participate, and I always meet some new blogger pals! :)

      Delete
  2. Look at you in all those glorious shades of pink! I swear you're getting even more beautiful as your pregnancy progresses, that close-up shot of you in that funky hat is ravishing. Colour is essential when the weather's that grey.
    Your snow looks stunning, like a picture postcard. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's so very sweet of you to say, Vix, as I don't feel all that ravishing especially with my dry flaky skin! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Oooooooooooooh, you look glrious in each and every one of these shots, especially the hot pink dress! I love the idea of your gnome hood! More photos of that please!!! I popped over from Patti's link as I was so struck by your photo! Gorgeous and really lovely to have met you!!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kezzie, I'm so happy to meet you too, and thrilled to have the opportunity to check out a new blog! I have to get better photos of that cape - the snow swirling around it did not do it justice. Stay tuned! xo

      Delete
  4. You look fabulous, Kelly - in the pink indeed! Love that cape and the knit dress, and I definitely agree that if you need to do the snowy alpine outdoorsy look, choose a bright colour to cheer yourself up. Why do so many people only ever choose a black coat? It's a mystery to me.
    Your snowy lake photos are really beautiful.
    Don't panic about planning for the birth, or too much about afterwards either. Babies used to sleep in drawers years ago and were perfectly fine! As long as your bebe is warm, dry, fed, cuddled, spoken to and loved, the rest is window dressing. xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you know, it's funny, Curtise, I have had so many people mention the drawer thing - a friend of mine actually was put in one when she was a babe! The thing is, when you have all this choice around you in the marketplace, you want to buy the most convenient and of course the safest product, don't you? Sometimes too much reading can be dangerous, as every recall and horrific incident breeds a wee bit of neurosis! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Love the windsmoor coat. You are looking great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I found that in a UK charity shop for about 10 pounds. It was kinda conservative looking for me so I always try to funk it up a bit. :)

      Delete
  6. You and Sarah are both rocking the hot pink! That cape is freaking awesome - if you ever get tired of it, please think of me ;) I love Curtise's advice about the baby - I don't have any children, but it sounds just right to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to get better pics of the cape, Shelley, and you have first dibs if I ever tire of it! Yes, re: baby, I am trying to find a balance between informing myself and not going off the deep end of manic worry etc. I think the whole marketing machine can breed that in Moms and Moms-to-be, and I really don't want to be part of it!

      Delete
  7. Yes, more hot pink to the people! You look so happy and bright in all your outfits, but the green and hot pink outfit is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, thank you for popping in! I love the green and pink combo too; it just says "happy" to me!

      Delete
  8. So,so very pretty in pink my dear! The cape is indeed gorgeous and you wear it well.

    I really appreciate the landscape shots. Always fun to see the beauty of where you live.

    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue, I am hoping to get a lot of wear out of the cape when the weather warms up and also when I'm big as a house!

      Annecy is truly beautiful. But then, you live in beauty too being so close to the ocean, so you know all about it! xo

      Delete
  9. All lovely, and the bump is shaping up well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for popping in! Yes, bump is progressing and getting bigger every day!

      Delete
  10. The cape and pink dress are very fab!! You are looking amazing, especially for how darn cold it looks there!!!
    Becky :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becky! You know, it's only about zero degrees C, but it feels colder as it's a DAMP cold, you know what I mean?

      Delete
  11. "Bright colours are a tonic for the blahs"...so true!
    I've admired Sarah's va va voom velvet vixen skirt already, she looks da bomb today, I'm not surprised you were inspired.
    I'm in love with your stylish cape & the olive coat with the hot pink dress is another great outfit, those colours look stunning together.
    I also love the studded bear trapper hat, awesomeness!
    ...xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one can do pink like Sarah, it's just so HER, isn't it? I read somewhere once that hot pink makes you look younger - who doesn't feel the rush of youth with a wee bit of pink blusher on her cheeks? So I may be wearing it more, ha! I don't always do real fur but that hat is so bloody warm; I hate having a cold head. xoxo

      Delete
  12. the gardens are lovely and so are you! I too fancy pink ;)\hugs
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw you in your Valentine's post resplendent in your lovely pink accessories, Reva. Still need to comment but you too look fab. There's just something about pink! xo

      Delete
  13. The bump is really starting to bump, and you can't hide it in that bright pink! It is a fab color, isn't it? I had lots of hot pink and orange when I was about 13.

    The cape looks really marvelous. I'm glad you've been able to find things on Etsy. And Annecy just looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOh, orange and pink: another fave, though I rarely wear it, just admire it on others. :) Val, Etsy is my shopping salvation in this thrift-deprived yet beautiful town!

      Delete
  14. You look stunning in both those outfits, the shocking pink suits you wonderfully! And so beautiful and cute with your bump peeking out! Keep warm won't you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emalina, so very sweet of you to say! The bump sure is looking cute. I just peeped at the weather and it says seven degrees C today, yay! xo

      Delete
  15. You look lovely in pink!

    We have plenty of the white stuff right now, but the weather is crazy here this year, rain one week, then snow, then freezing temps....Thank god the cats keep me warm at night! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I talk to my Mom in Ottawa often, and one day it's balmy and the next it's -25 C!! Craziness! I don't miss the cold, but at least you have sun. :)

      Delete
  16. That cape is amazing! I like your hat in the second picture too, seems like a nice texture, beautiful color too. I'm envious that you're having so much snow!
    Finding cheap stuffs in France is an art. I used to go to fleamarkets and a frippery (Le Léopard) where I'd search through the defect tray (sometimes they sell a piece here with absolutely no defects because it's a different cut than most garments of of its category, or you just need a bit of sewing), now I recently found a shop called C'est deux euros. Everything is sold for 2€, stuffs that should be more expensive (good quality A4 papier photo), hats that I would usually buy for 2€ or less but also stuffs that could be cheaper (stickers!)
    I also find hats and accessories for 2€ or less in random shops where they sell anything, often owned by a family rather than some big store; usually clothes are still expensive here, but not accessories. Hmm, there was something else but I forgot! Emmaüs is nice for books, but the clothes can be expensive too. Oh yeah, there is something called Vétis and they have a 1kg for 1€ section where I found nice stuffs. It's only in Alsace, but there might be other stuffs like that in Annecy. Just to say, so there *are* second-hand shops in France with 1kg for 1€ sections! These are just uneasy to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA I found a 2 Euros shop the other day! It's the French version of our Dollar Stores in Canada! I was pretty thrilled as you can get cheap candles and toiletries there. I have gone to the Emmaus as I heard good stuff about it too, but the one near Annecy is so depressing I won't go back, alas. The Annemasse location is bigger so I may get hubby to drive me there. We're going to Geneva soon and I hear the Red Cross thrift shop is good, but I bet there won't be 1 Euro deals there! So I may have to wait until the Vide Greniers start in the Spring! Thanks for the suggestions, I will look up the Vetis place!

      Delete
  17. Hi Kelly!

    Looking splendid!
    Oh yes grey winters in Europe!
    It was the same when i lived in Germany , in the black forest region
    But spring will come sooner than us here in Mtl!
    Love all your stuff, the coat, purse, hat and the lovely pics of Annecy in the snow!

    Time flies hey? 3 semester , wow!
    Yeap better plan a bit!

    Take care of you now and that baby


    Arianexxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, you know what I mean then, about the greyness. It is blah. It may be cold in MTL/Ottawa etc, but at least you have the sun more than we do in the winters. Yah, I'm blown away by how quickly this pregnancy has gone - hopefully the last three months won't drag on! xoxo

      Delete
  18. The damn damp definitely makes a difference! I love all this bright pink counteracting all the grey and white, beautiful as it is, we need some cheering up! That bag is great too xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Clare, it does, we may joke about the "damp cold", but, like the UK, it's like that here! xoxo

      Delete
  19. Oh Beautiful Snow! I love seeing your pops of pink against the grey backdrop of your gorgeous new home. Pink is one of my favorites too--such a fun and happy color. I prefer the bright pinks to the softer ones too.

    Great find with the bag. I love the style of it--totally reminds me of the Coach Willis bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely but I'd be happy to see it go. It's 7 degrees C today and everything is dripping - it feels like Spring! I'm no good in the baby pink tones, and I agree that there's nothing like a shot of hot pink.

      I love the bag - I tend to be attracted to structurally interesting ones with cool hardware, but slightly beat up. :) Will have to look up that Coach bag.

      Delete
  20. Happy Valentine's Day Glamorous Mother-to-Be! XO, Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to you Jill! I can see by one of your recent posts that you like pink too! xo

      Delete
  21. Your baby must be really happy in pink.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He must be, if I am, but I hope to get him comfy in lots of other colours and not too much pink! :) xoxo

      Delete
  22. oh yes pink can do a lot for the soul of a girl ;) at least i believe in the power of pink too;)
    and you look great in it! what a fab pink dress darling!
    love and kiss,mary
    http://www.maryloucinnamon.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! You look like a gal who loves her colour too. That royal blue dress you made is stunning. Xo

      Delete
  23. Wow! That cape even more fabulous on you than it did in the Etsy photos. And it does make you look like the cutest of gnomes.
    Pretty snow pics. I love snow scenes and am glad that we've finally got some proper snowstorms here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo, it is a beauty isn't it? I saw your snowstorm pics - wow! It's like spring here now - we were sitting on a patio Sunday as it was 15 d C - but I'm sure we'll get another dump yet. Living in Canada for so long has made me distrusting of early springs!

      Delete