Thursday, December 6, 2012

Thrifty outer-wear I haven't shown you


Time to haul out the cashmere. It's only about zero degrees C or a few degrees above in the day, but it feels chilly - perhaps it's the lake and mountains that make it feel more damp and bone-chilling. Annecy looks very festive now and is all decked out in lights, with snow-capped mountains showing in the distance, so I promise to take pics and show them to you soon. There's a Christmas food and artisan market that runs from now until early January, plus a sound and light show too.

I don't think I've ever shown this vintage coat I picked up years ago at a Toronto vintage sale. It was originally marked at $60, but it was such a lovely autumn day that the coats weren't selling. When the woman marked them down to $10, I pounced on this plushy cashmere and wool A-line baby, with three huge crochet buttons. The collar is real fur, forgive me, but when I flip it up as I have here, it is oh so warm and protects me from the wind and chill. French women, btw, have no revulsion towards fur - I can't tell you how many (new) full-length fur coats I've seen on the backs of oh so chic women-of-a-certain-age.


It's a blurry shot but I had to show you my fave beret, black wool with these silver studs. I used to have a more expensive version, with the studs fastened onto the fabric, but they fell off. Ironically this cheapie one I bought in the UK with the studs glued onto it has lasted without any stud casualties.


Ok, I have shown this one, come to think of it, but not enough considering how much I wear it. This cashmere cape, bought in a Toronto thrift shop for a few dollars, is made by Jimmy Hourihan of Dublin. Hourihan International still exists and its capes go for between 300-400 Euros. This shot was taken earlier in the fall, just outside the vet's where we took Dinky, and I'm happy here as I thought she was going to be ok then, sigh. I channeling my inner rocker Chrissi Hynde look here, with electric blue eyeliner and flat hair!

Outfit deets:

Jimmy Hourihan of Dublin cashmere cape with hood: thrifted in Toronto, Canada
High Street dress: found in a UK charity shop
Blue leather gloves: UK charity shop
My fave blue suede booties, made in Italy: thrifted in Toronto
Vintage choker: vintage jewellery sale in Toronto (there's a matching bracelet)
Cashmere sweater/cardi: new, 10 Euros at the weekly market under our window in Annecy
Lancel French designer handbag: found in Annecy thrift shop.


Ooh, excuse the bad hair and dorky face. This pic was taken a few weeks ago when we drove up to a resort town in the mountains to bask on sunlit patios with friends the whole day - it was lovely. I know I def haven't shown you this blazer as I picked it up in Toronto, with my now hubby, just before I moved away from the Big Smoke last year. It's by French designer Lolita Lempicka, 80s/90s I'm guessing, and was under $10. I'm not usually into double-breasted blazers, but the wool and the fringe reminded me of a Canadian Hudson's Bay Company blanket. That may not be a good thing.

Outfit deets:

Lolita Lempicka wool blazer: thrifted in Toronto
Jeans: thrifted in Toronto
Periwinkle blue cashmere turtleneck: found in an Ottawa, Canada consignment shop
Cape: above
Guess? booties: new but on mega sale
Leather bag, thrifted in France (see below).

The gorg made-in-Italy bag is a recent find at my local thrift shop, Bazar Sans Frontiere, for about 7 Euros. I thought the arm handle was tres French. This truly is how French women carry their bags! I wonder if their arm goes to sleep?

21 comments:

  1. The vintage coat is seriously fab!
    I am always looking for one but they are always too big for me - Love a beret yours is very cool
    My God your backdrop where you wear the white jacket simply amazing - it reminds me when i was in Switzerland - Btw that jacket is wonderful,something i would wear, fits you like a glove you can see it is a quality item -

    Take care gorgeous

    Ah oui! Chou chou my cat is doing fine these days, he had another cold - he has been on antibiotics again but he is back to himself - up and meowing and meowing, i prefer that than hearing him caugh -


    Ariane xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweet Ariane! We are so very close to Switzerland so you're right in thinking so. Everywhere you go here, you see mountains - I never tire of their beauty.

      Aw, glad to hear your wee minou is doing better. Once they get older you really have to keep an eye on the little critters. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Haha, does look very HBC. You look melancholy free in the photo with Dinky around... I am s ure he is thinking of you too, wherever he is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah, the jacket looks more Canuck than French, eh? I wish I HAD found an Hbc coat thrifting; that would have been a major score.

      I sure hope that is true about Dink. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow! Love that Lempicka jacket, looks gorgeous. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing your Toronto treasures! The coat is gorgeous, very lady-like but not fussy. I have one very similar but the fur is brown, and yes, when it's windy and you turn up the collar, it keeps your face warm. I also have Jimmy Hourihan Cape from Dublin that I will have to post a photo of soon. That is a great bag, but I don't know how they carry them on their arm like that - with my carpel tunnel it would kill me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh Shelley I am looking forward to seeing your cape! I'm so glad I hung onto mine. This coat is truly a fave. I find many of a similar style look too granny-ish for me, but there's something contemporary-feeling, or at least timeless, about this one. I SO miss thrifting in TO. When I do go back to visit I'll have to bring a suitcase for all the stuff I will buy (it's a wee fantasy)!

      Delete
  5. That coat is stunning on you, bet you stop traffic in that one! Love the blingy beret and that blue eye liner makes your eyes look gorgeous! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's def a feel-good coat, Vix, and looks great with everything - who would have thought? xoxo

      Delete
  6. Love that first coat. I don't do real fur but I do appreciate that it feels lovely and soft. Can't go wrong with a cape, and I really like the fringing on the jacket. It always makes me laugh to see teeny tiny women carrying their enormous It bags on the crook of their arm! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm extremely conflicted about real fur, I must admit. For me it's more of a warmth thing than a status or aesthetic thing, but then there's the other side, of course.

      You are so right: French women are mainly tiny, so their bags do tend to overwhelm them. I admire it but also find it odd. :) xoxo

      Delete
  7. I love it all. You look pretty and cool, my gorgeous friend.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a very beautiful coat and beret combination in the first picture, so glamorous and looks wonderfully warm too, just what's needed at the moment!

    So glad I've discovered your lovely blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found me! (I did make my way to your site through a fellow blogger, can't even remember who!). Always great to find a fellow vintage lover. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your collection. :)

      Delete
  9. great style, girl! love the coat from the first picture a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I know you have an appreciation for great coats as you have them too! :)

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks Danielle! I'm glad I found your blog as I love your style - looking forward to seeing more thrifty outfits! :)

      Delete
  11. That cape and dress are amazing! The cape fabric looks nice and the color is very profound, a nice find. I'm still looking for a cape as those are the best things and very versatile (I like draping capes around my waist to wear as skirt, amongst other things.)
    The Lolita Lempicka blazer is great too. Reminds me of what Nina Van Horn sometimes wear in Just Shoot Me, looks so cosy and nice color as well.

    ReplyDelete