Saturday, December 1, 2012

Grunge-y Dresses; $10 Jackets


I so regret getting rid of a sumptuous deep blue patterned velvet 1990s dress, long and with a drop waist, that I had back in the day, that when I saw this short 90s velvet dress on mega sale on Etsy, I just had to snap it up. Not sure why I'm so grooving on the 90s now, but I'm not micro-analyzing it. It's such a sweet little frock, and it will be cute for the holidays too.

I'm sporting it with a new haircut (from a month ago); a huge Anne Klein scarf that I picked up on mega sale at a consignment shop in Toronto (it's a thick black crepe but has this red velvety squiggle pattern throughout); a fabulous vintage jacket by James Bay, a Canadian maker about which I can find very little, thrifted for a glorious $10 in my fave neighborhood thrift shop in Toronto, Stretch Thrift; and stretchy cloth and leather gloves thrifted in the UK, I think. The bag was handmade in Montreal, bought new, as were the Guess? booties.


I'm wearing the same scarf, pre-hair cut and with a slightly blurry face, with this grungy little dress/tunic I picked up with a gal pal in a consignment shop in a little village not far from here. I never thought I'd ever wear something like this, but it appealed to me at the time and still does. It was quite a but warmer when this pic was snapped, so I'm wearing a Parasuco cropped denim jacket, found at the same $10 sale as the consignment shop scarf. The lace-up booties are a fave pair, and oh so 90s, picked up at a downtown vintage shop just a few months before I left Toronto for about $35. Not a Grunge Queen thrifty price but I loved them too much to leave them there, and I've worn them so much I've already had to replace the soles.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

16 comments:

  1. May I ask how many pairs of boots are in the grunge queen closet? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great dres, and lovely plaid.
    Loving and wanting your brown boots so much.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look great, I love the 90s too...early/mid 90s...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look so DYN-O-MITE!

    The 90's look looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both outfits are lovely and suit you so well, Kelly! The little floral frock is a delight, and I love the tartan too. I have no room to laugh about your love for the boots, I have a fair few pairs myself!
    Beautiful backdrop as ever in that first pic. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Long velvet dress? That sounds incredible! ;) These are awesome, though. I especially love how you styled them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really into 90s velvet dresses at the moment too. Great for the winter. Love the tartan. You look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look great! Love the tartan dress in second pic!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those 1990s frocks look so cool & fabulous on you. You're obviously down with the kids as all the hipsters are going mental for them, too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. The 90s seem to be having a moment now. I find it scary something that seems to be so fresh in my memory is now retro! I love the patterned velvet frock! I have a couple of things that I regret giving away too. Great boots too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. One cannot have too many velvet dresses (ok, maybe one can, but I still like to wear velvet the way most people wear cotton or wool). If I owned that black and red Anne Klein scarf, I'd live in it!
    A belated thanks for the birthday wishes. I'm back in the States now and need to catch up with blog friends and blogging.

    ReplyDelete