Monday, November 26, 2012

Green Bally Bag & Green Beret



The gloriously sunny days and 12 degree C temps that have had me going on two-to-three-hour walks these past few weeks left us yesterday, and, though still warm, the greyness has set in. I bought a few dresses last week on Etsy so no Cyber Monday for me. Friday I was busy running around looking for Birthday fixings for the hubby. Who knew that balloons and birthday streamers are impossible to find in Annecy? I had to improvise with a Christmas garland and a home-made Happy Birthday banner - and I am so not showing you the pics but hubby was definitely touched by my DIY project!

Thought I'd show you another way I've worn my $10 cashmere dress bought at the market in Annecy this fall (see post below). This pic was snapped about a month ago, when my hair was super long and I had to hide it under a beret. I'm standing on a walkway that leads up to the Chateau overlooking Annecy. Poor hubby has to park his car in the carpark here as there are no other spots available. Good thing for us as we get our exercise walking up that steep hill!


I feel like a bit of a 1920s girl here - maybe because the vest makes the outfit a bit shapeless.

Aside from the dress and the tights, the entire outfit is thrifted:

Navy wool trench, thrifted in Toronto, Canada.
Blue leather gloves: bought in a charity shop in St. Annes, UK.
Blue suede Italian boots: my absolute fave, found for $14.99 in a Toronto thrift shop.
Amazing plastic colour block necklace: $2.99 at a Toronto, Canada thrift shop!
Vintage Kangol angora beret: gift from a fellow vintage pal.
Orange Benetton wool vest: thrifted for a few Euros in an Annecy thrift shop.


I am super thrilled with this green leather purse I found at the local thrift shop. It was only a few Euros and it's by Bally, a Swiss maker whose bags go for several hundred Euros. It's in mint condition and unlike anything else I have.


It is been a really long time since I've participated in Patti's Visible Monday at Not Dead Yet Style. I am happy to do so again. I am off to go wander in the rain and later work up the nerve to call a French school to see about French lessons (talking on the phone, in French, can be very intimidating when your language skills are not that advanced). The French don't really seem to let the rain hinder them - cafes and patios are still open, and throngs of people tend to be milling about (except on Monday, when many stores are closed). So I will have a quiet walk in the rain. Have a great day.

37 comments:

  1. You look so wonderful in blue, my dear friend.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci mon cherie, as do you in light blue! Xoxo

      Delete
  2. Love your cashmere dress, and that Bally bag is indeed a beauty! Great that you enjoy long walks in such a pretty setting too - thanks for linking all the beauty to Visible Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti, it was great to participate in Visible Monday again. I hope to do so again soon! :)

      Delete
  3. Love the Bally bag. A great find

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracey! I tried to leave a comment on your great 5-in-1 dress post, but I lost it, arg. I am coming back soon to try again!

      Delete
  4. Hi Kelly, I'm linking up via NDYS. I'm happy you linked up today, as it's always nice to meet other bloggers from Canada. How exciting that you have lived in the UK and now France. I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, thank you for connecting; it's always so great to meet a new blogger. I have already been to your blog and love your sense of colour and amazing photos. Will def visit again! :)

      Delete
  5. Beaut of a bag and love the pop of red over your cashmere. Plenty of rain here ... second lot of flooding in less than a week :( M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vintage Jane! I have been reading about the flooding all over the UK and it sounds just horrible. I hope it stops so people can resume their lives and rebuild. Xo

      Delete
  6. You look amazing!! I like your blog! Would you like to follow each other? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting! I have been to your blog and you have an amazing fashion sense - I need to figure out the translate function so I can follow and comment but I will happily do so! :)

      Delete
  7. I have read the last 2 posts and wow great finds!
    That Lancel bag is something else indeed and so is the Bally bag, i just love that green
    My cat is not is the best of shape again, he has a cold again, i will have to bring him back to the vet i think, poor cat
    So sorry again for your cat, you get so atrached to the little creatures!
    Annecy is spectacular!

    Ariane xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ariane, I hope your little munchkin is better now. It is so very hard when they get sick. Keep us posted. Xoxo

      Delete
  8. You look lovely in your rainy day wear, Kelly, and that green Bally bag is a beauty. The boots are fab. Hope you manage your phone conversation in French (I agree, it's much harder on the phone than face to face!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have put off the phone all week - and the call is to take a French class, geesh! Xoxo

      Delete
  9. The Bally bag is great, love that it is green. I found some cute Ballys with a kitten heel at the thrift this weekend, but alas, not my size! $4 too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you hate it when that happens? That always happens to me with amazing leather boots - my clomped are too big. :)

      Delete
  10. WONDERFUL NECKLACE!! (and Great to see you smiling again!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool isn't it? I don't wear it often but when I do, it can really put the oomph into an outfit. :)

      Delete
  11. You are very chic my friend, oui ,oui !

    Please do post about Noel in France, please :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci, mon ami! Annecy is currently getting all decked out for Noel - I think they are kicking off everything tomorrow so hubby and I will be on the prowl with camera in tow! :)

      Delete
  12. That little green bag would look good in any setting ... and it is surprising and fresh looking with the blues and the orange splash! So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really liked the way the colour combo for this outfit worked out too. :)

      Delete
  13. Congratulations on your Bally bag find. The gray dress with the orange/blue/green touches make it very cheery -- perfect antidote to gray rainy weather. That looks like a wild necklace. Have you shown it to us before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, I firmly believe in colour as an Antigone to greyness! When I was really low and in the midst of a freezing Toronto winter, I used to put on my thriftier canary yellow Bill Blass swing coat - every one else on the subway was wearing back!

      I have shown this necklace before but it was years ago - I like recycling content sometimes especially for new readers who I know haven't seen the goodies before. It is such a funky piece - almost didn't get it but sure glad I did. :)

      Delete
  14. Good to see you back posting again. Great outfit, as always, and again I sigh as I look at the lovely backgrounds in your photos.
    It's been pretty nice here in TO too - 10 to 12 but changed over the last couple of days to 3/4. Snow in Newmarket on the weekend - as always, we've missed it - yaaaaay!!
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nan, I fear the cold temps are settling in here as well, though snow only in the mountains so far. :) Today it is sunny so I am going out to frolic as it's been raining for a week! :)

      Delete
  15. I think we have similar tastes in handbags, I do like over the top ones but those classic 80s and 90s shapes are a real weakness of mine, green leather even more so! Love the 20s girl outfit too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to see more of your bag collection! I love vintage bags as they have such cool and different shapes - not like the boring contemporary ones. Now I am starting to regret getting rid of my 90s bucket bags. :(

      Delete
  16. I love that purse so much! The color is rare and gorgeous too. Don't ya just love a structured bag?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure do - the vintage ones have such cool structural shapes, like an architect designed them! :)

      Delete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the Bally. Classic style. There was a gorgeous Bally and a Longchamps on Etsy that I had in my favorites--both for great prices--and they sold out from under me.

    BTW, I just got done reading through all your "handbag" posts...had to start somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I too have lost great bags on Etsy as I've waited too long!

      Alas, some of those bags are long gone now, as I stupidly gave away some really choice ones - what was I thinking?

      Delete
  19. You've moved to France?!?! Oh my...how lucky. I guess I've been away from the blog world way too long. You're looking fabulous as always and inspire all to shop vintage.
    Kris

    PS - a thrifty la life has been reborn as I have become a resident of both coasts in the US. Can't wait to thrift on the east coast and compare my finds to those on the west.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kris, I am so glad to hear from you! I have kept you on my blog roll in the hopes that you would return! I am now going to keep an eye out for your new east coast finds!

    How cool that we've both moved! I moved to the UK in February after marrying my Brit hunk , then he got a new job in Geneva three months later, and we moved nearby to Annecy, which is so gorg. :)

    ReplyDelete