Saturday, November 10, 2012

Annecy in the Fall


Thank you all again for your kind comments about dear Dinky. I have not responded personally to each comment as I usually do, but please know that each and every one means a lot to me, and I appreciate your personal stories and remarks. It's still rather sad days for me so I hope you'll bear with me as I show you the lovely Annecy in recent weeks - the pictures reflect the many quiet walks I've had of late. My heart is just not into fashion at the mo. The above shot is from a stone perch overlooking the canal (really a river that was paved in to look like a canal) that flows from Lac Annecy, leads to the Rhone river and eventually feeds into the sea (the Mediterranean). You can just see the famous Chateau in the distance.


This was taken in September around the lake, again from a little stone wall. I am continually amazed at the clarity of the water. The lake is both mountain and spring fed, and the water is so pure it's used as drinking water in Annecy. The lake is well protected - no sewage, no salt in the winter, and not full of huge boats in the summer. It has special zones where certain water activities are allowed and others aren't. A bike path that circles most of the lake rests on an old railway bed.


Annecy is nestled in a valley surrounded by the French Alps, so mists are common here and add another layer of beauty to the lake, which as you can tell is one of my favorite places to wander and daydream, especially when my hubby is away and I'm feeling lonely.


This was taken in September as well, when many of the boats were covered but still in the water. Now there are fewer, though many still berth alongside the lake and canal for the winter. The water doesn't freeze and averages a temperature of 4 degrees C in the colder months. 


We had friends visiting last week and were lucky enough to jump in the only tour boat still open during the day (not pictured here), which closes this week. It took us for an hour tour around the lake, and it was heavenly.


This is a wee man-made island, the only one on Lac Annecy, which serves as a sanctuary for the many swans, ducks and water birds that populate the lake. You can see clusters of red leaves here but this is rare - I am loving that many leaves are still on the trees this late in the game, but I am so missing the brilliant reds and oranges of Canadian autumns. 


A more recent pic, at dusk, with the sun reflecting off snow-capped mountains, and skeletons of moored boats settling in for a quiet winter's sleep.


I love walking at dusk and watching the sun set over the distant mountains. The light changes all the time.


Here's a blurry shot from  different location, but you get the idea.


This is one of my favourite haunts, along the northern tip of the lake, which is often very quiet and is near to the special spot where Dinky rests. I try to go here as often as I can. I love the huge trees and the view of the lake looking east (here) and south (below).


I'm sure that many have sat on this wall and let their imaginations float away ....


I hope you've enjoyed a lovely fall. I have been checking in from time to time with your blogs but have not left comments. I will be my 'ole self again soon. Have a great weekend. :)

27 comments:

  1. What a view. I hope you aren't feeling too lonely, your blogger buddies are thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, SixBalloons, that is so sweet of you to say. It is getting better. :)

      Delete
  2. What glorius photos and images of autumn. Annecy looks so beautiful! It's really giving me a strong urge to visit. Mr V says he swam in the lake in his summer there and there was high diving board you could dive in from.
    Hope your heart is healing xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lake is glorious to swim in, and I'm picky about what I dip my bod into! There may be a diving board at the public beach near the northern tip of the lake, very close to where these photos were taken. The beach is closed this time of year, but the gates are open - haven't visited there yet but now I want to.

      Thank you, my heart is oh so slowly healing. xo

      Delete
  3. Kelly, it's good to have you posting again, and all these photos of your new home and its beautiful lake and mountains are gorgeous. You do sound melancholy, but the loss of a dear pet is a very sad thing, and it takes time to feel better. Thinking of you. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Curtise, it has taken a while and I have felt rather melancholy, but it is slowly lifting. xo

      Delete
  4. I see you've tucked Dinky's name into this tag. ;( You must still be sad. It lasts for a long time doesn't it? I still have a hard time driving by the vet building where we had to put our 18 year old cat down. Makes an awful pit in my stomach. Sorry to bring it up again.
    On a good not I'm enjoying your armchair travel photos again. I love seeing your neck of the woods. Makes the US look so boring, but it encourages me to get out with my camera and take some local photos too.

    By the way, the Loreal lipstick is #518 Ginger Spice. Or maybe it's 815.

    Hope you're feeling back to yourself soon. I was just thinking about you last night seeing your blog name at the bottom of my list because it had been so long since you posted last. I had my break from posting for a while too and Curtise was so helpful getting be back on the band wagon again. There's so much emotional support in this blogging, regardless of the clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Joni, it's sweet of you to notice the tag. :) Yes, the pain never really goes away although the day-to-day heartache gradually subsides. I know what you mean about the pit-in-the-stomach thing - I still can't think about that night without a big gulp.

      Annecy is perpetually beautiful - it continually astounds me. Hope the winter isn't a rude awakening!

      Thanks, I think they have L'Oreal lipstick here - thank God for global brands!

      Yes, I guess we all take breaks from the blogging world, don't we? Some people get back to posting, while others don't. I'm not sure which way I'm going but I sure do appreciate the support and kind comments of my blogging buds. :) xoxo

      Delete
  5. Kelly, it was so nice to see your post come up on my reading list. Grief saps the creative juices and the only thing that makes it better is time so take as long as you need. Thanks for the lovely photos of your daily landscape - it's so beautiful there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelley, thank you, your comment is oh so true. I think the fog is lifting a wee bit, though, and the lovely landscape gets me out of the house so I don't stay inside too much. xo

      Delete
  6. Such breathtaking beauty there. Temps here hit 4C today. Autumn is a time for introspection for me, reflective of the leaves flying away I suppose. I try to get my lifts from my closet, usually with success. I hope you revive with the passing days, a loss is so hard. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love autumn, Melanie - always a time of new beginnings for me (a throwback to school days, methinks). I wish I could feel more inspired, like you, on the fashion front these days, especially since the shop windows are forever changing and oh so alpine chic - and represent a possible style renaissance for me! Hopefully that will come. :) xo

      Delete
  7. What an utterly beautiful place. I hope you start feeling less sad soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I would spend many many hours on that beautiful wall, staring whimsically across the water... enticing delightful French amoureux! Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I **should** spend more time there, Sarah, as I do have the time! It always makes me feel better to go to the lake. It must be like the beach for you. :) xoxo

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful place you live in and what a nice spot you picked for Dinky's final resting place. Take your time. I know it's difficult to feel yourself again after a huge loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vivienne, I guess I have been taking my time, and I appreciate the kind words. :)

      Delete
  10. Hope you feel better soon
    Annecy is such a beautiful place, it is simply amazing, almost paradise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ariane, that is how I think of Annecy! It is just always so beautiful. Thanks for the kind words. :)

      Delete
  11. I was missing you, my dear queen.
    Get better, my dear friend
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, my glorious style hound, lady of if amazing belts and DIY skirts! I am slowly getting better. xoxo

      Delete
  12. Just read your last blog about losing your dear cat Dinky. How sad. She looked like a real sweetie. The type that creeps into your lap and into your heart. However hard their absence, we must be glad that we had a chance to know our furry friends for as long as they are with us.

    I have just been in France last month (in Lille) and I thought it was lovely. (Better than Paris, which I think is a bit over-rated.) Or is that a scandulous thing to say?

    Cheers from a fellow Canadian living in England,
    Rosemary from www.foreveronthecatwalkoflife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Rosmary, thank you for the thoughts - Dinky was all that and more. :)

      I have been to Paris only once, and I'm sure it's amazing, but I've also heard a lot of people say it's noisy, expensive, rude and dirty. I guess it depends what you're looking for, but I would have a hard time trading Annecy for anything. So glad you had a nice time in Lille. We drove through northern France on the way to Annecy when we moved, after taking the Eurostar, and the countryside was absolutely breathtaking! It's actually an easy drive as the highway is good and not too busy (in case you ever come back.) :)

      Delete
  13. Soooo missing your blogs. Hope you are doing well.

    Nan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Nan, thanks for the kind thought, and I hope life in the Big Smoke is good. Just about to do a post. :)

      Delete
  14. I found your website the other day and after reading a handful of posts,
    thought I would say thank you for all the great content.
    Keep it coming! I will try to stop by here more often.

    ReplyDelete